The Family and Medical Leave Act
Employees have rights to protected time off work during specific personal situations, and companies risk expensive lawsuits and full audits if they fail to comply. Bambee will make sure your business follows regulations and stays protected.
Sign up to Try Bambee Now
What's the Law?
The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) requires businesses with 50 or more employees to offer up to 12 weeks of unpaid, protected leave under circumstances for specific family and medical reasons.
Protect circumstances include:
- Parental leave around birth or adoption
- Serious illness of an employee or their family member
- Qualifying exigencies related to a member’s military deployment
Am I at Risk?
Common FMLA violations include:
- Employer failure to recognize qualifying conditions, such as severity of illness
- Disciplining of employees’ with absences that are actually covered by FMLA
- Requiring employees' to give more notice of absence than is required by law
- Employer failure to maintain benefits coverage during and after absence
- Not reinstating a returning employee to their previous role