Service members have special workplace rights in accordance with the Department of Labor, and failing to comply with them can cost you. Bambee will make sure your company is following all veteran regulations, so you can stay protected from risk.
Sign up to Try Bambee Now
What's the Law?
The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), administered by the Veterans' Employment and Training Service (VETS), protects the rights of military personnel to obtain civilian employment upon return from active duty. Specifically, it assures an individual’s right to be reemployed in a job they left to perform military service.
An employer cannot deny a veteran employment, reemployment, promotion, or any benefit of employment as long as this veteran:
- Notifies their employer of their service in advance
- Serves for five or less cumulative years while working for a given employer
- Applies for reemployment quickly after the end of their military service
- Was not dishonorably discharged
Am I at Risk?
Common USERRA violations include:
- Denial of reemployment
- Lack of effort to retrain returning veteran in their previous role
- Denial of benefits, or any aspect of previous role such as title, pay, or seniority